We had major meltdown #1 and major meltdown #2 all in the span of two days this weekend. Yes, Riley has had temper tantrums, but never something so horrid that it went on for more than 10 minutes with screaming, arching of the back, and "how dare you" looks. Meltdown #1 took place at the Tanger outlet mall in Williamsburg. We decided to take a nice little Saturday drive to find some deals on a few things. (Can I just say that Children's Place and Carters are my favorite stores there. Where can you find pants, shirts, and coats for $1.99 and $2.99?? At the Children's Place outlet) Anyway, back to meltdown #1. Brett took Riley down to sit on the Mickey Mouse ride while I checked out the Oshkosh store. After awhile I met them down by the rides. Brett took Riley off of the Mickey ride so that she could try out the Lion King ride. All was fine and dandy until another daddy and little girl decided to test out the Mickey ride. Riley nearly flung herself off of the Lion King ride and Meltdown #1 began. We tried walking away. Still meltdown city. We tried the whole "let's go to McDonald's and get a toy." This held her off for a few minutes until we got to our car and she realized that we weren't heading back to Mickey. It took a good 5 minutes to get her into her carseat because of the arching back and screaming. She's a tough little thing! Meltdown #1 didn't end at McDonald's either. She cried and twisted and turned while I tried to change her diaper. She cried until we sat down and ate. It was not fun! At least she ate well! After 45 minutes passed she forgot about Mickey and settled with a ride on an airplane. Whew! This is the very first time that Riley has shown any problems with not wanting to share. She's always been the helper and toy distributor, but I'm starting to sense a bit of change...Other than Meltdown #1 we really did have a nice day in Williamsburg. The weather was nice and the deals were hoppin!
On to meltdown #2. Sunday, Brett and I decided to take Riley to church. We haven't been in a long time and decided to try and go regularly now. Let me preface with Riley was an angel during church. She sat quietly and only made a couple elephant and lion noises while Daddy was reading books to her. Truly, an angel. Now fast-forward 5 hours. We're back at home and Riley's just woken up from her nap. Brett and I had been down working in the basement and decided to put together her trike that she got for Christmas from Grandma and Grandpa Murphy. It was a hit. She's not quite tall enough to use the peddles, but was able to push herself backward and forward. After 20 minutes we decided that it was time to go upstairs and start dinner. This is where meltdown #2 begins. Twice I tried to get Riley to get off the trike, but gave her "just 5 more minutes." Finally I decided enough is enough and drug my clinging child away from her brand new trike! My screaming, wet noodle of a baby off of her brand new trike. You would have thought the world was ending! Oh, and how dare her daddy try to touch her brand new "soc ba" (soccer ball)! We drug her upstairs and waited out the storm by sitting in our chair and talking about anything and everything to get her mind off of the trike. Finally 5 or 6 minutes later she had moved on. I seriously hope this isn't a look at what we have in store for the next couple years! Meltdowns get my blood pumping and I don't like sweating unless I'm working out!
PS...I have some very cute pre-meltdown pictures to share tomorrow!
No comments:
Post a Comment