Wednesday, January 5, 2011

20 Week Update

I'm officially 20 weeks along in this pregnancy.  Here's a run down of what's going on:
  • Had my first progesterone shot on Monday. More on that below.
  • Ultrasound is scheduled for Jan. 13th.  Super excited!!!
  • I pulled the line "I've done this before.  This is my second child." when the receptionist tried to give me reasons to wait to schedule an ultrasound until 24 weeks.  Yeah, I know.  I just wasn't in the mood, and the doctor said I could schedule it anytime. So there.  This is the second time I've used this line.  The first being the cashier at Motherhood telling me that I shouldn't wear heals.  Seriously, you would think people that work around pregnant women would realize that hormones are raging and you just don't mess with them! OK, next.
  • Seeing a "practice" of doctors, and not just one doctor, has proven to be frustrating, confusing, and a hassle.  Also, more on this below.
  • I started exercising again.  I'm attempting to walk 2 miles at least 4 times a week.  So far this week, I'm up to 4 miles.
  • Christmas helped me gain 6 pounds. Yikes! Hence, the new exercise routine.
  • This baby is moving a lot!  He/she seems to kick down and inward - if that is even possible.
  • For some reason, I've been obsessed with listening to talk radio.  Usually sports talk radio.  I think I might be channeling BOY.  But, I've felt like it is a girl all along.
  • Overall, I feel great.  I do get tired pretty easily and seem to fall asleep well before my usual 10 pm bedtime.
  • I discovered Oprah's new network and am preparing myself for lots of Oprah while on maternity leave.
  • My belly is measuring 38 1/2 inches around. Yes, I really measured.  I'm one inch bigger than when I carried Riley.
  • Riley is very concerned about where her baby is.  Whenever I point to my tummy she shakes her head no and frowns.  She thinks my boobs are where her baby is.  This will make for a funny story when she's older. 
Progesterone (HP17) update:

When I was at the doctor on December 8th he said that I would get my first HP17 infection at my next scheduled visit (Dec. 29th).  He said that the nurse would order it and I would get it when I was in for my doctor's appointment.  He also said that he was fairly certain that insurance would pay for them.

I showed up on the 29th for my scheduled appointment (with a different doctor, of course).  He reviewed all of my risk factors, and went on about how "spontaneous early rupture" itself, is not a risk factor, but that blah blah and blah were so there was the option of the HP17 injections.  I said that the last doctor said that I would begin to receive them this week. He then proceeded to tell me all about the studies on progesterone and that if I were his wife he would probably not recommend them because he is a "skeptic."  Really? Now, we were totally confused.  Brett and I decided that 2 out of the 3 doctors recommended the injections so we were going to stick to our game plan and do the weekly injections.  There are no proven ill effects to the baby and just a few side affects to the mother.

The doctor had his nurse check to see if the HP17 had been ordered, which it hadn't.  I proceeded to tell them this isn't the first time that something hasn't been done correctly this time around and explained that I had to have my blood work done twice since the nurse never labeled my first batch.  Which also means, the patient get stuck paying TWO blood work co-insurance payments.  All for the nurses mistake.

On my way home from the appointment I received a call that the HP17 had been ordered and should be ready to pick up that day.  I picked up the medication, which is not covered through my insurance and scheduled my appointment for January 3rd. And here I am. 20 week into a pregnancy, taking extra hormones, wondering if it is truly the best things for me. 

Progesterone side effects:
  • Stinging at injection site.  The HP17 shot is an oily substance. [CHECK - for 24 hours]
  • Nausea [CHECK - on and off]
  • Constipation
  • Extra moodiness [Not that I've noticed...ask my husband]
  • Extra body hair [I sure hope not!]
  • Spontaneous weight gain [Please no...I don't need help with this.  Eating Lean Cuisines for lunch hoping I stay out of the chocolate]
  • Other symptoms that are rare and that I hopefully won't encounter. [So far, so good]
So there you have it. Next week, we'll know what Riley gets.  A baby brother. Or a baby sister.  Right now, she's only agreeing to a baby sister.

No comments: