The first few months of 2014 were some of the most trying for our family. Grandpa Denny became ill mid February and by the end of March he was moved to hospice. On April 3, 2014 Denny went up to heaven. Losing a father and grandfather is one of the hardest things we have ever dealt with. Brett spent time running from work, to the hospital, to home nonstop. I'm thankful that he had a job that allowed him to spend so much time with his dad during the last months of his life and to be by his mom's side through it all. I will never forget what it was like explaining to Riley that Grandpa Denny was sick and that he was going to go to heaven. She completely understood and to see grief in my five year old's face was so hard. Telling her that Grandpa was in heaven was by far the hardest thing Brett and I have ever done. She understands that he is in Heaven with God. In the time since his passing she will point to the sky and say hi to Grandpa and talks about him quite often. Harper, on the other hand, doesn't really understand. Although, just the other day, out of the blue, she became very exited and said "Grandpa Denny is coming back from heaven!!" With Cole, we've begun to notice just how similar he is to his Grandpa Denny. He looks so much like Denny it is unbelievable. He has his Grandpa Denny's hands and mouth. He's a constant reminder of the man we lost. As time has moved on we've planted five rose bushes in his honor and try to keep his presence alive in our kids. I can honestly say that I feel him around quite often. I'm a true believer that he is present in our lives and that he has a hand in where our family is going!
No comments:
Post a Comment