Friday, November 9, 2012
Harper And The Allergist
Harper had her appointment with the allergist on Tuesday. We were pretty certain that she had an allergy to egg. Three times we've seen her break out in hives and skin rashes when eating, or just touching, eggs. We have given her other things like pancakes and waffles that have eggs and she seems to do fine. So we headed to the allergist to confirm our suspicions. The allergist was pretty certain that we were describing an egg allergy and decided to check with a blood test. Poor thing had to have her blood drawn from her arm. She was a trooper and the nurse was great to get it over with quickly. I called the allergist today to get the results and it looks like we'll be avoiding all egg and egg products for awhile. On a scale of 0-5 she had a 2.66 reaction. Which means that there is clearly an allergy, but thankfully it is not severe. She doesn't require an epi pen, but we do have to really start watching what we give her now. Thankfully an egg allergy is one that most kids grow out of by the time they're 5. We will have to take her back in 9-12 months to be re-tested. I think I'll be making some more trips to Trader Joe's and Whole Foods in search of some egg free stuff. I'm just happy to have some answers and to not be paranoid about everything that I feed her.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment