Monday, January 16, 2012

Riley Nicole: Big Sister

I thought it would be fun to do a post entirely on Riley as a big sister.  It's been fun to see her grow into the big sister that she is.  I love seeing their relationship grow every day and hope that they grow into best friends.  Even though I would have loved to raise both a boy and a girl I'm thankful that Riley and Harper will have a sister and best friend in each other when they're older.  Here's the big sister I see in Riley:
  • "Popper"  is now "Hoppa."  She can say her Hs now, but struggles with her Rs.  She will either call her Hoppa, Baby Hoppa, or Baby.
  • She loves her little sister sooo much.  She loves to kiss her, hug her, and give her toys.  She rarely asks to hold her though.
  • She now continuously tries to give her a sippy full of water.  I'm constantly reminding her that yes, she is a baby, but not her baby doll.
  • She doesn't like Harper playing with her toys and will usually take them away from her. She has a few of Harper's toys that she likes to play with.  She will usually try to give Harper a different toy to play with so she can take the one that she wants.  Harper has started screaming in protest. Like, real screams.  Loud screams.  So it begins...
  • She loves to make Harper laugh.  She insists that saying "Harper, Barper" makes her laugh every time. 
  • She always wants to take a bath with Harper.  She gets upset if we make her wait until Harper's bath is over.
  • She always wants to kiss Harper good night and will usually come into her room at bedtime.
  • She likes to give toys to Harper when she's in her crib.
  • She is always the first one to check to see if Harper is awake after her naps. And then always yells "Mommy, Daddy she IS awake!!"
  • She loves to say "oh weelwee, Hoppa?" anytime Harper is jabbering.
  • She's thinks that she needs to yell NO at Harper all of the time.  We are constantly having the talks about who Harper's boss is...not Riley, but Mommy and Daddy.
  • She is slowly remembering to play with all of her toys with little pieces on the fireplace or at the kitchen table.
  • When we are in the car Riley will always throw her bunny or piggy on Harper's lap. 
  • If Harper is crying in the car we ask Riley to talk to her.  Harper will imediately quit crying and begin to laugh.  Riley loves doing this.
As time goes on, we are slowly noticing the sibling jealousy or competition that is evident in every family.  Luckily, Riley hasn't acted out on it yet, just some pouting here and there.  I'm sure our time is coming.  We have been stressing every day how good it feels to make others happy, expecially her little sister!  I just hope that Riley and Harper will continue to love each other when they are older as they do now.  I'm praying for their teenage years already. :)

No comments: