Friday, July 22, 2011

Maternity Leave: What We've Been Up To

It's been a busy summer. Here's what we've been up to while I've been home:

  1. Figuring out life with two kids is a lot of work, but super fun! 
  2. Mommy took Riley and Harper to see Winnie the Pooh at the theatre.  Riley loved everything about it.  Being only an hour long it was the perfect movie to take both girls to.  Harper was perfect through the whole movie too.  When she was awake her eyes were fixated on the screen.
  3. Trips to the mall play place, Auntie Ann pretzels, snacks at Panera, and feeding the ducks.
  4. Story time at the library.
  5. Backyard Adventures with Carter and Brynn.  Riley thinks we're going back every day that she wakes up.
  6. Endless talks about Riley's upcoming 3rd birthday party.  She wants a beast party from Beauty and the Beast.  It can't just be princesses, it must include the beast.  Or, she wants a witch party from Snow White.  Or she wants Halloween at our party.  What's this say about our little girl?????  Needless to say, we're having a Beauty and the Beast theme.
  7. Lots of trips to Target, Walmart, and Costco.
  8. Trips to Mommy's work
  9. Trips to Yo2Go.  If you haven't tried this new yogurt shop, you must try it.  All the self-serve toppings you can imagine and pay by the ounce.
  10. Walks
  11. Wii Fit.  We've rediscovered the Wii since (almost) finishing the basement.  I've found a new favorite game: Marching Band. Ha!  It's so much fun and I can always use some help with my rhythm.
  12. Building tents in the living room.
  13. Playing with Riley's water and sand table, water hopscotch, sprinkler, and pool.
  14. Playing with the neighbors.
  15. Trip to LaCrosse, Wisconsin to visit the Donnenwerth's.  We all had fun catching up and Riley loved playing with Macy and Drew.  She came home talking about "that sleeping place" where Daddy let her go "way down to the bottom of the pool," and the shadows she made at the Children's Museum.
I feel like it has been harder to get out of the house than I had planned.  But when we do make it out, the days seem to go much smoother.  I'm finally comfortable with taking both girls out on my own and seem to have found my routine of getting them in and out of the car.  We've made a pretty good habit of getting out of the house for an hour or two each day that Riley is home with us (she's still going to Hedy's 2 days a week).  but, this July heat has made it more difficult.  I only have 3 1/2 weeks of maternity leave left, and we've packed it full of fun.  I'm looking forward to all of the things that we have planned, and even kinda-sorta looking forward to going back to work.

No comments: