Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Heart

Being in the true spirit of Valentine's Day I decided that I wanted to attempt to make a heart shaped wreath that I stole from another blog.  All I needed was a styrofoam heart, felt, and push pins.  What I didn't expect were the many hours of tracing around a plastic cup and cutting out circles!  This is a craft that you should expect to spend many hours on, but the outcome is beautiful!  I worked on it with my mom and my two nieces.  They may have been a bit too young for the lengthy project, but did seem to have fun with it.  Here's what it turned out like:
To start go to your local Hobby Lobby or craft store and find a styrofoam heart similar to this one:
Next, using a pair of GOOD scissors, about 3/4-1 yard of felt (I chose red, my nieces uesd pink and red), cup, and pen trace out as many circles that you can fit on the felt.

Once you have enough circles to begin you fold them into 4 equal pie shapes.  Or, fold the circle in half and then fold the half in half again.  Got it?

Once you've folded your circle use a push pin (located down toward the point of your pie) to attach the felt to the styrofoam.  There isn't a specific way to attach the felt, but we found that the more random you can place the felt the more "flowy" it appears.

Now I'm just debating if it would look nicer on my door, or on my wine cabinet.  For now, it's on my door!

1 comment:

Amy D said...

Ok-I'm going to try this one:)